What if?

I've got some friends going through trials right now that seem like mountains: health issues, extremely sick children, impending financial ruin, marriage teetering on the edge of collapse, family issues that won't go away.

Through much of our lives, time and wisdom will guide us safely through our momentary struggles. Scriptures and love and a listening ear and a great Lauren Daigle song will guide us through our everyday issues.

But then we come up to the mountain-sized stuff and we wonder, "How in the world will I get through this?" And, to top it off, it usually seems that the mountain-sized trial comes not isolated but after you're already tired, stressed, beaten down, and struggling in other areas. King David went through the same type of situation when he said, "They confronted me in the day of my calamity," (Psalm 18:18). Or, as The Message translates it, "They hit me when I was down."

In situations like these, I don't have a perfect scripture or song to take away the anxiety or anger or pain. I can offer a hug--either literally or long-distance--and the assurance that my prayers will contain your name.

But yesterday God started planting some seeds in my brain as I prayed desperately for a friend. She's afraid, she's hurting, and she's unsure. As I carried her to the throne of grace, these questions came to mind:

  • What if this is not a situation you need to get out of, but walk through?
  • What if, ten years from now, you look back on this and think, "THAT'S where I changed forever...for the BEST."
  • What if this struggle defines your faith and your strength and your hope? Like Moses crossing the Red Sea or Abraham laying Isaac on the altar, what if this is your moment
  • What if this trial is God's way of cleaning out your life? What if He uses this to take away your pretense, your false security, and your self-reliance?
  • What if you realize your strength is not enough, but God gives you His strength and it is more than enough?
  • What if, like Esther, you were made for such a time as this? What if all your past was preparing you for this? What if you already have the perseverance to get through it?
  • What if this struggle becomes your ministry? What if you walk out of it ready to help others who face the same thing?
  • What if this time of isolation and fear will drive you to know God Almighty like you've never known Him before? 
  • What if this is the one thing you can't run away from, and through it you see that you don't need to run away any more?
  • What if this calamity forces you to know and believe and lean on God's Word in such a way that it becomes the very air you breathe? 
  • What if you were brokenhearted because you prayed for God to move this mountain and He didn't? What if, instead, He plans to walk with you across it?
One of my favorite songs of all time contains the line, "When Jesus is all that I have, He's all that I need." What if this is TRUTH?

I don't know why God's path for your life brought you to this mountain range. But I know that He is El Elyon, the God Most High, the One who can get you to the peak of suffering and see the amazing view.

I'll leave you with Psalm 119:169-176, MSG:
Let my cry come right into your presence, God;
    provide me with the insight that comes only from your Word.
Give my request your personal attention,
    rescue me on the terms of your promise.
Let praise cascade off my lips;
    after all, you’ve taught me the truth about life!
And let your promises ring from my tongue;
    every order you’ve given is right.
Put your hand out and steady me
    since I’ve chosen to live by your counsel.
I’m homesick, God, for your salvation;
    I love it when you show yourself!
Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well,
    use your decrees to put iron in my soul.
And should I wander off like a lost sheep—seek me!
    I’ll recognize the sound of your voice.


I love you. You will make it over this mountain.

@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com


Comments

  1. I love this. One of the greatest lessons that I learned (from you, actually) is to be thankful--actually, verbally THANK God--for hard times that I face. Being consciously grateful to the Lord for seemingly insurmountable things has changed my faith, much for the better!

    I love you!
    --Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You