Thankful Today

(Awesome t-shirt in photo can be found at Rags and Royal.)

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I think it always has been, but even more so now that I'm an adult and I can count my blessings one by one.

This past Sunday, I had the girls in my class make a name tag that told three things they were thankful for...but they weren't allowed to say "my family," "my friends," or "America." Those are given. :) 

So I've challenged myself to do the same. I am DAILY thankful for my amazing family and friends. It takes very little world knowledge to be thankful to live in America. 

So, more?

I am thankful for the things I don't have to think about. I don't wonder where my next meal comes from. I don't worry about losing my home, losing my children, or losing my mind. These things are very real for some people. And as a dear friend watches her husband face cancer and another friend deals with the loss of her unborn child, I am thankful that I don't even give those things a thought at this point in my life.

I am thankful for honest friends. For the wise women who look at me and ask, "No, really, how's your time with Jesus?" For the amazing women who have been down the road before me and have assured me that I will survive and I will thrive. The ones who remind me that my identity has nothing to do with what others see but who Jesus has declared me to be.

I am thankful for the weirdos in my life. Confession: I never really felt like I felt in with any group. I may have seemed comfortable, but I had this nagging idea that these weren't my people. Maturity has taught me that my weirdness is a GOOD thing. I married a weirdo, I am raising two weirdos, and I appreciate the weirdness that you bring to my life. (More on that here.)

I am thankful for changing relationships. You class of 2014 girls, who inspired me to start this blog, are now ADULTS. The same ones who sat, 15 years old and so crazy about all the wrong things, in my class as sophomores are now my FRIENDS. Serious, grown-up friends. I love that my mom is always my mom but also one of my best friends. I love that my sister and I have an adult friendship that is based on 38 years of shared stories and experiences. 

I am thankful for the beauty of God's world. This has been the thing God's been impressing upon me lately: TAKE IT IN. It's His sanctuary, His canvas. From nature to people to animals to the things I can't even see, He is marvelously powerful and holy. And I'm thankful He lets me see it.

I'd love to hear your out-of-the-ordinary thankful list. 

Happy Thanksgiving 2017.

@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You