Patience

It's the thing we ask God to just give us. We'd rather not practice it.

It's something that drives us crazy when other people have none but, if we're honest, we don't have much, either. 

It's a fruit of the spirit, it's a command, and it's a quality of love.

Patience.

When I asked for suggestions for blog posts, one of you said simply that: "Patience." What a loaded topic.

First, a quick overview of what the Bible says about patience:

Romans 12:12 "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer" 
Galatians 6:9 "Let us not grow wearing of doing good..."
Psalm 37:7 "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him"
Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God"
1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient and kind..."
Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience..."
James 5:8 "You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand."

I hear you right now. "But I'm not a patient person! I can't wait!"

But there's more to patience than just putting up with that annoying person or that situation that won't change. 


  • Patience is trust that God is Almighty. Seriously. When you are patient with someone or some situation, you prove that you believe God is in control.
  • Patience is what we do when we love. When it's someone you love with all your heart, you find it in yourself to be patient. Impatience is a big red flag that we're not loving a person like maybe we thought we did.
  • Patience is something we choose. Colossians 3:12 instructs us to "put it on." God does not dump patience on our heads in traffic or waiting in line or waiting for Mr. Right. We choose patience in every situation and we choose to act on it.
  • Patience is faith. We believe God loves us, is with us, and knows the plans for our lives (Jeremiah 29:11). However, He never promised that He'd fill us in on those plans. We wait for them to unfold.
  • Patience is what God shows us. (Ouch.) He is patient with us; we are to show others patience, in return. That's glory.


I've been praying over this topic for a while now, and yesterday it actually hit me what patience looks like. Many, many years ago I felt a calling over my life by God. I still feel it's my calling. But for about fifteen years now, I have been waiting--impatiently, I might add--for that calling to mature. I've prepared, I've prayed, I've studied, I've submitted, ready for God to make that thing happen.

Then a few days ago I started reading a book by a woman whose life was marked by that same calling. She'd done it, very well I might add. And it almost cost her everything. She lost her health, her peace, and was well on her way to losing her most important relationships. And as I read her story last night, I very gently felt God saying to me, "This could have been you. You weren't ready at 25."

So here I am, at 40, still waiting. What if the calling I know is for me never happens in the way I expect? What if the stage is different? What if I'm already fulfilling it, differently from how I pictured it?

What if the calling was for me to teach you how to bring it to fruit?

God's plans are perfect and He's never rushed. And we are blessed to believe that.

So when you start feeling antsy, try these:

  • Stop pushing it. It will come when God allows.
  • Stop whining. God's way more focused on changing your heart than fulfilling your every dream.
  • "Cease striving and know that I am God," (Psalm 46:10). It's not in your power or in your responsibility to make something happen. That's all on God.
  • Ask God to strengthen your unbelief (Mark 9:23-24). Admit that His ways are not your ways (Isaiah 55:8-9) and that He knows best. 
  • Surrender. Whether it happens or not, and when, is not in your control. Commit to being God's child, beloved, living for His glory. 


He's got it. And He'll prove it to you that His timing was impeccable.

I love you.
Leslie


@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You