The Best Medicine

____________ is the best medicine. 

My sweet little Shelby has been totally miserable with a stomach bug for SIX DAYS. So this morning I took her to the doctor. All week, she'd said, "Mom, please give me something to make me feel better!" to which I had to tell her, "Honey, there's no medicine for a stomach virus." But our ever-so-wonderful pediatrician checked her out and, acknowledging her symptoms, told me that lo and behold there were three very simple over-the-counter medicines that would bring her relief. WHEW. On the way home, I said, "I know you're not well yet, but doesn't the fact that we have medicine in the car bring you hope?"

So let's re-define medicine: That which brings hope for a better tomorrow.

Back to the original topic: What is the best medicine?

Of course, "laughter" comes to mind for all of us. And it is true; nothing heals a broken heart or a sore soul like laughing so hard your sides hurt and you're wiping away tears. ("A joyful heart is good medicine," Psalm 17:22.) There are some people that make you laugh, and I hope those people are the ones you don't just watch on videos or text but whose same air you breathe on a regular basis. My sister is probably the person who makes me laugh the most, followed by my husband and kids, cousins, and lifelong friends.

But what else would I put on the list of best medicine? 

  • mountains 
  • cold yet sunny days 
  • a perfectly-fitting pair of jeans (a rarity for short girls!)
  • coffee in silence 
  • coffee in a hometown coffee shop 
  • coffee with a dear friend
  • church music that goosebumps
  • being surprised by an old friend, a memory, or a song I'd forgotten
  • weddings
  • Christmas music (not all of it, though; I'm very picky. DO NOT give me Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, but I'll listen to Real all day.)
  • large groups of loud people (AKA my Dad's family)
  • hiking in the Rockies
  • childhood movies: Annie, The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music
  • high-quality, talented musicians
  • not being rushed
I could keep going. Not only do they heal me, but I find relief for my soul just making this list

But something tops them all: God's Word.

I'm not talking about the Bible in its entirety. (Though I am passionate about consistent, daily Bible study and if there is a list of "wise things we should do every day," this tops them all.)

I'm talking about the word in Hebrew dabar, which indicates a specific, divine word of God

  • It's when you go to God in prayer about something and He gives you an answer
  • It's the feeling of comfort and peace in the midst of stressful situations. 
  • It's wondering how you're going to meet that deadline or pay that bill or help that hurting person and you hear God say, "I got this." 
  • It's the perfect word that comes on your shuffle list just as you're praying about it

Here are just a few verses that use that very word: 

"He sent His word and healed them," (Psalm 107:20)
"Revive me according to your word," (Psalm 119:25)
"Remember the word to your servant, in which You have made me hope," (Psalm 119:49)
"I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope," (Psalm 130:5)

(And there are many, many more. You can see them all here.)

God's word speaks to our situation. It speaks to our pain, our hopelessness, and our stress. It calms our fears, alleviates our worry, and soothes our aching heart. It brings healing to our souls.

But how do you GET His specific, perfectly-crafted, just-for-you-and-just-for-today word? THAT's where Bible Study comes in. I'm not talking about going to LifeWay and buying the latest and greatest for $14.99. (Though I should have put "Women's Bible Study" on my list of best medicines. I love few things more than a bunch of women, clutching Bibles and clinging to truth.) 

I'm talking about you and God, alone, un-rushed, un-scripted, in the holy dialogue of reading, pondering, applying, and gleaning from the Bible. The most powerful messages I've ever gotten from God have come from His written word. Everything I need to know is in there. Anything He wants me to hear is there.

Hearing God starts with seeking Him in the Bible.

Now, do I always come across a word from God during Bible Study time? No way. Sarah Young's Jesus Calling and Jesus Always speak a dabar over me almost daily. The Scriptures I've memorized are so powerful in healing my heart and soul. Sometimes I hear truth in a worship song, sung maybe in church, maybe with my kids in the house, or maybe alone in the shower. Sometimes it's from my pastor, my co-teachers in Sunday School, or just the wise words from a godly friend. 

But it's all rooted in His Word, the Scriptures. 

So today I'm not just encouraging you to find hope for tomorrow in God's Word; I'm also offering you a service: my favorite resources. Start here. Go through these and see if the healing balm of the Bible doesn't soothe what ails. 

And, if you feel lost or un-healed, email me at myleslienotebook@gmail.com. Let me help you know what God's Word says. I would love to guide you through what I know and what I've heard.

Nothing, nothing heals the soul outside of God's word. Let His word be your medicine, sweet one.

@leslienotebook






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You