Focusing on S in 2018

I've never been much of a New Year's Resolution person. But lately I've felt felt a holy tug toward considering how God is leading me into this new year. I've already created a chart for praying for certain marriages each month. I have a plan in place for hearing God in His Word.

And, true to my non-perfectionism tendencies, I've decided on my personal motto for 2018: 

"Six out of seven days isn't bad"

(Wow. Way to strive for greatness there, right? Hey, we non-perfectionists are perfectly okay with this.)

But yesterday, it all came together. And I present to you my Five S Goals for 2018:

Silent Seeking. Every day, I want to start my day in silence. That's a tall order with three other people in the house, but it makes all the difference in how I walk through my day. It may mean sleeping less or saying no to late-night board games, but I have a holy appointment with the God of Creation first thing every morning. He deserves my reverent silence.

Sweat. I strive for healthiness, and sweating (exercising) is the one area of my life that's been lacking. When I sweat, I know I'm making my body stronger, healthier, and ready for whatever comes my way. Whether I go for a run, challenge my kids to a plank contest, or pull up a YouTube exercise video, I'm going to sweat. 

Smile. When I first thought of this word, I thought it would have to do with finding good in every day. But it's more than that: 

  • I plan to smile in every situation, choosing to be thankful for God's sovereignty in my life.
  • I plan to be delighted by God. As I turned a corner walking through my yard yesterday, the sky was aglow with a hot-pink sunset. I caught myself smiling at God's beauty and creativity. 
  • I plan to smile to people who don't smile first: the grumpy, the hurting, the leave-me-alone types. Smiles break down all kinds of walls, and when I choose to smile at a frown I'm spreading joy that only God gives.


Share. It seems like a child's focus, but sharing is something we are commanded to do as adult followers of Jesus, as well (Luke 3:11, Acts 4:32). I need to share my possessions, my time, and my money. I should be sharing my knowledge, my passions, and my abilities. I especially look forward to sharing Scripture with anyone I encounter.

Serve. This is where it all culminates: Through silent seeking, smiling, and sharing, do I still have the humility to serve others? Can I set aside my rights (to be first, to be full, to be acknowledged, to be respected) in order to serve someone who may not say "thank you" or who may never even know I helped? Just as Jesus came not to be served but to serve (Matthew 20:28), can I get down on my knees and wash feet? Or change diapers? Or stop and listen to that person who loves to complain?

Five S goals. 
Six S words. 
Six out of seven days a week. 
And grace (already) to forgive myself when it doesn't happen.

I can do that.
So can you.

Want to join me? Let's make this the year of the S. 

@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You