On Becoming a Hebrew Scholar

I've always wanted a Hebrew Scholar in my life.

(In fact, if any of you reading this were some sort of religion major or went to seminary, I probably said, "Good! I need a Hebrew expert on call!") 

I've done enough Beth Moore and Kay Arthur to know the power of those ancient words. And though I've always wanted to be a Hebrew scholar myself, I've never been willing to go to seminary. 

Recently, I was given a note taking Bible, one of the best Bible Study resources I've ever owned. I've been a little hesitant to start writing in it, because I wanted to do something great on the lines that fill every page. [Writing that down made me roll my eyes at myself. I'm sure God isn't expecting great; He's expecting interaction.]

At the same time, I've been using this amazing website: 

https://www.blueletterbible.org/

It's free, and I can look up every Hebrew word in KJV or NAS by simply typing in the book and chapter and clicking on "Strong's." (Strong's Concordance was, back in the old days of paper books, THE resource for knowing original languages in the Bible.) After an extended definition, the website shows every occurrence of that word in the Bible.

Summary:

     Love of Hebrew
     Note taking Bible
 +  Hebrew-revealing website
     I'm becoming a Hebrew Scholar.

So here's what I'm doing:

  • I start with one word. The first word I chose was chesed, "unfailing love," because God had brought it to my attention about a thousand times in a week. I looked up its definition and wrote it in the front blank page of my note taking Bible.
  • I found that word every time it appears in Scripture. A little overwhelming, but SO worth it. Again, at blueletterbible.org, I can see that word every time it shows up in the Old Testament. So in my Bible, I would underline it and, in the lines of the margins, write that Hebrew word. 
  • Now it's time to study. After finding every occurrence, I take them all in by observing--with my own eyes and brain--what the word really means. 
I've so far done this with all of THREE words. Hebrew Scholar? Not yet. But I can flip through the pages of this Bible and see those three words, color coded, knowing that I fully understand what those words mean AND, more importantly, what the Bible teaches about those three words. 

I would totally love to start throwing them into normal conversation, but I may not ever be that confident. However, I AM RUNNING HARD AFTER JESUS, and knowing what His Word really says is one more way to do that. 

Join me? I'd love you to become a Hebrew scholar, too.

Let me know how it's going, either by commenting below or sending me an email.

Love y'all :)

myleslienotebook@gmail.com
@leslienotebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You