At Your Best

our friend Josh and his precious daughter
(I feel like the subtitle of this blog should be, "How Shelby's ups and downs can teach us all about walking by faith." She seems to be a recurring example in my posts over the past few years. If you want to read them all, scroll to the top and type "Shelby" in the search bar.)

Shelby's had a tough day today. (This isn't the first time I've typed these words.) She's been selfish, moody, bossy, and disobedient. This isn't normally her day-to-day behavior, so I started analyzing what was going on:

  • She destroyed all of us--her older brother, my husband, and me--at our favorite board game (Ticket to Ride) last night. 
  • David (my husband) and Daniel (her brother) were gone all morning; she had my full attention. We did a fun "girl time" of watching a movie they wouldn't like.
  • She turns seven tomorrow. The official Hudson birthday celebration involves choosing all three meals for the special day. 
  • She's looking forward to getting birthday cards in the mail today and tomorrow.

Do you see it? She's getting everything she wants: attention, special treatment, and a boost of confidence.

She's at her worst today because she's all about herself.

Usually, she's the total opposite: she typically has a servant's heart, goes out of her way to show kindness, and makes it her goal to bring beauty to everyone and every thing. 

But when our focus is on ourselves, we become unbearable. 

Let me personalize that: When my focus is on myself, I become unbearable.

TRUTH.

We think that self-awareness and self-attention will lead to self-love. WRONG. It leads to selfishness.

On the other hand, when I reflect on when I've been at my best lately, I realize it's been when I am focused on helping, loving, serving, ministering, or sharing with others: 

  • When that friend calls in a moment of desperation, needing counsel and scripture
  • When my kids are sick or sad or sleepy
  • When I celebrate with others who get good news or a good report
  • When I catch up with an old friend and find out what's been going on in her life

But I am at my very best when I'm humbled, open, and honest before the throne of grace. When my eyes and my heart are on the God of all creation and the lover of my soul. When I hear Him and know His love. I'm good when I'm focused on others; I'm best when I'm focused on God. Why? Because we best love others when we most love God (1 John 5:2-3).

It's the reason soon-to-be brides become monsters. It's the reasons two-year-olds have the potential to make their families miserable. It's why people who need a job or a passion or a charity live a life of fake drama:

Because we are at our worst when we look only at ourselves.

Of course, I'm not saying to ignore your health or your needs or even having fun every now and then. But when most of your thoughts are on yourself, you are likely a miserable person. 

So how do we combat it? 

  • Fix your eyes on Jesus. Cancel your plans and spend time reading the Bible, journaling, and repenting. DO NOT MESS AROUND IN THIS SELF-SATURATED WORLD. You can get comfortable there.
  • Give yourself away. Who needs a night of babysitting? Who needs a home-cooked meal or a card for no reason? Do that for someone else.
  • Make a list of 100 things you're thankful for, and thank God for them. If you're really ambitious, make a list of 10 things you are NOT thankful for and thank God for those anyway
  • Read 100 Verses about Generosity. Memorize ten of them.
  • Take $10 and see how many people you can surprise with random acts of kindness. Ask God to show you someone who needs to know He loves them.
  • Find out more about an organization that helps people who need love, prayer, money, or service. The happiest college-aged girl I know right now spends most of her free time counseling at a crisis pregnancy center. What situation brings tears to your eyes? Is it abandoned children, sex-trafficking, terminally ill, or bullied kids? GO LOVE THEM.  
I made this statement in the first post I ever wrote and I still stand by it: "You are a child of God...in heaven. NOT A PRINCESS ON EARTH." So ask God what He has for you to do, who He needs you to love, and where He wants you to go. 

Oh soul, are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior, and life more abundant and free.
Turn your eyes on Jesus, look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
in the light of His glory and grace.
(Helen Lemmel, 1863-1961. Read the amazing story behind this hymn here.)



Need to subscribe to get more Shelby life-lessons? Click the box at the top.
@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You