For All You List Makers Out There

There are two types of people in the world: those who make lists and those who are annoyed by list makers. (I am the former; I married the latter.)

I always have a grocery list going. Hanging on my fridge is a list of my commonly-repeated meals. Each morning I make a list for my list-making daughter, who wants to see the list of things she needs to do. (My son, a chip off the block of my husband, cringes at the sight of a list.) My daily planner has a list most days, and I always have a list going in my prayer journal: names of God, prayers, scriptures by topic, etc.

In this time of uncertainty and unknown, my list-making needs have dramatically changed. Our days are slower and the need to prioritize tasks has almost stopped. If I were to make a to-do list today, it would include things like, "Fix dinner; exercise; play Settlers of Catan." 

But today I considered that these uncertain times have inspired me to make a few new lists. (Any scientists out there need to study the brains of list-makers? I raise my hand; it seems to be compulsive.) So for my fellow list-makers out there, I'll share what I've started. Feel free to make the following lists for yourself or start some new lists of your own!

People I Need to Call or Text
Friends and relatives I love but don't communicate with enough
Girlfriends I'd be trying to meet for coffee
Moms with little kids who need adult conversation
People I know who are on the front lines of battling this virus

Quarantine-Inspired Changes to Make Permanent
Less hurrying
More scripture written in dry-erase marker on the windows
More early mornings with Jesus and the sunrise
More coffee dates with friends
Less to-do lists that add stress; more to-do lists that add joy
More card games and board games with my family
More boredom for my kids
More helping from kids with preparing food and washing dishes 
Take walks with my dog more
Tell people regularly I love them 

Ways to Improve Myself During this Time
More fun exercise: online workouts, walking/hiking, intentional stretching
Learn a new skill
Read books; not just non-fiction but also biographies and academic
Think and plan long-term, not just for myself but for my kids

Drawing Closer to God
Deeper Bible Study and time to read my Bible slowly
Praying for people in light of the virus: socially, mentally, emotionally, physically
Re-memorizing Scriptures
Opening my heart and mind to new ways to share hope and joy when I'm sitting at home

Removing Anxiety in this Crazy Time
I'm not opening my phone in the morning until after time with Jesus
I'm not looking at any virus news after dinner
Only looking at reliable sources for news and updates
Asking constantly for wisdom, peace, and hope from Jesus; depending on Him alone for my encouragement
Calling people to commiserate, uplift, and share love

We're all linking arms and working through this together. May God help us lean on Him, look to Him, trust Him, and find courage and faith in His Word.

Leslie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You