My Favorite Day

Add caption
Today is my absolute favorite day of the year. More than Christmas or Thanksgiving or Easter or even my own birthday. More than the first day of vacation or the last day of spring cleaning. 

It's the first day of fall.

I know, I know, the calendar told me that the first day of fall was last week. But it still felt like summer last week. I'm not talking about when google tells me it's the first day of fall; I'm talking about when my soul does.

I had heard whisperings that today would be it. The forecast said highs in the 70s. I walked outside at about 6:30 this morning and it felt like any other morning for the past few weeks. [And I've been burned by weather forecasts before, so I didn't have my hopes too high.]

But I went out again at 9:00 and it hadn't gotten even hotter. 

Again at 10:30; same temperature.

Now you may not know this about me, but I am not a hot-weather person. I am grumpy throughout May because I know summer is right around the corner and won't leave for six months. I sweat like a pig and find relief only in the air conditioning. 

Until today. My windows and doors are open to every single breath of fall I can catch. I've gone outside every chance I get. The birds are singing a happier tune and even my dog is peppier than usual. 

At noon, just a few minutes ago, I declared it fall. I walked outside and spoke to God, bursting with joy, "I knew You would do this." 

The first day of fall shouts the faithfulness of God: He is who He says He is. He controls everything. As Daniel said, "He changes times and seasons," (2:21). 

The One who spoke the galaxies into being and ordained the sun and moon to orchestrate our seasons and days (Genesis 1:14) reminds us again that He will make it all happen, every year, in His time

As far as I know, we've never not had a fall. It may come early or late, but it comes. Ditto for the other seasons. Ditto for rain and sun. Ditto for sunrise and sunset. We find comfort in knowing that the seasons will change because we know the One who changes the seasons.

The cool weather isn't the only thing that indicates that the season is changing: we see the leaves change and flutter to the ground. We watch the grass slowly start to fade. We grab a jacket as we leave in the morning "just in case." We see animals respond to the changing pressure and shortening days. We slip on jeans instead of shorts. 

And we rejoice. Because we knew God would bring fall, no matter if this was the hottest summer on record and the 90 degree days lasted way too late into September. 

And we know He'll bring it again next year.

Seasons change. Not just in weather, but in life: lonely seasons, busy seasons, too-much-work seasons, not-enough-money seasons, full seasons, empty seasons, seasons of stress and seasons of peace. Just as surely as fall will, sometime in January, become winter, your life season will change. I promise.

And in every season, we believe the One who ordained them. We accept the beauty of each season and we praise the One who will change them again. 

I can't seem to get away from the theme of confession and repentance from the Lord, and today is no different: If you're feeling like your season of life is funky, consider these words:

"Therefore repent and turn back, so that your sins may be wiped out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord," (Acts 3:19, HCSB, italics mine).

Or the same verse in the Amplified Bible: 

"So repent [change your inner self—your old way of thinking, regret past sins] and return [to God—seek His purpose for your life], so that your sins may be wiped away [blotted out, completely erased], so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord [restoring you like a cool wind on a hot day]"

Oh, be refreshed by fall. Be refreshed by the cool breezes. Be refreshed by the can't-miss reminder from our faithful Lord. 




Need to sign up to get this blog in your email? Please put your email address in the box, top right. 

@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You