Christmas Speculations: Mary


Oh, Christmas. I just love it. Not for the reasons you think: I'm not that big of a decorator. I don't really get into shopping or gift giving or gift receiving. I don't even particularly like lights or candy canes or snow.

BUT I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC.

Well, some of it :) 

The traditional stuff is great, don't get me wrong. Just today I taught my kids "Grandma got run over by a reindeer." If that doesn't scream Christmas spirit then nothing does.

But that's not what lulls me into meditating and dreaming and journaling about each of the characters in the Christmas story. And so today my focus is on Mary. Sweet Mary. One of the first people I'm going to find when I get to heaven. 

But let me back up just a little bit, because that first Christmas was really NOT what the nativity scenes portray. (Oh; that's something else I do love! Nativity Scenes!) But they usually show Mary seated calmly, hair fixed, eyes bowed in solemn prayer, Joseph leaning on his staff behind her, the baby lying peacefully, looking up toward His Father. Beautiful.

And not accurate.

Have you ever known a woman who gave birth? Ask her about it. There is no way that was the scene immediately following the birth of any child, even our Savior. Yes, God was there. Yes, it was holy. But no, it was not silent. I'm sure Mary was screaming, Joseph was praying desperately, the baby was wailing, and we can only imagine how the animals responded with their moos, neighs, hee-haws, and whatever a camel says. (Blehs, I guess.)

Jill Phillips' "Labor of Love," the video I have here, does not gloss over the truth of Christmas. The moment of Mary's labor has yet to be captured in a Nativity, but it is captured beautifully in the song.

And when I start to think about all Mary experienced in her role in the first Christmas, I start reflecting on all she sacrificed, all she believed, and all she lived by faith:

She was so young. Back then, girls were betrothed pretty much as early as they could physically bear children, so Mary was probably a middle- or high-school aged girl. Younger than any nativity shows. She had lived purely, not just in her relationship with Joseph but in all things. I mean, when an angel appears to you and says, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you!" (Luke 1:28), you've not been lax in your faith. Her youth had not stopped her from living the life she knew God had called her to live. Her purpose had been set from before God said, "Let there be light," and she had lived according to her calling. As a teenager. No excuses for anyone reading this blog; myself included.

She faced untold sacrifice. This is the spot where I wonder if she really realized what would be required. We're told that Joseph didn't believe her when she first told him what the angel said. (More on Joseph soon!) And if Joseph didn't believe her, we can only imagine what her parents thought. Could you look your dad in the eyes and tell him what the angel said and expect him to believe you? That you were pregnant but not by a man? "Yeah right, sure Mary. Get out of my house." She may have been turned away from most of the people who knew her; after all, would they believe her story? 

She was so alone. Back then, wealthy people might hire a midwife to assist in the birth of a baby, but poor people used the best free midwives around: the women of their family. Mom, aunts, cousins, and any woman who had borne children aided in the delivery. It was a family affair, and you could rest assured you were in good hands because everyone helping had been through it and could give you advice and encouragement. But Mary had her baby many miles from home with only Joseph by her side. Don't get me wrong; I love Joseph and I applaud his nobility. But there is no way he knew what her mother could have known about bearing children nor would he have the words to say that a first-time mother needs to hear in the midst of labor. (My own noble husband passed out in the hospital floor with my first child, so I speak from experience here.) I wonder how many times she thought, "I need my mom here." 

Youth. Stress. Loneliness. So much pressure to give up. BUT...

She was committed. When Gabriel told her the plan, it seemed so straightforward: She would conceive through the Holy Spirit, she would give birth to a Son, and she would name Him Jesus. Not many details. I would have pummeled him with questions: What will my parents think? How can I get Joseph to believe me? Will I be disowned by my family? Will I be considered a harlot the rest of my life? Am I going to be okay? How will I know how to raise God's Son? Are you sure you were supposed to come to me? But she had only one response: "I am the Lord's servant. May your word to me be fulfilled," (Luke 1:38). 

So as you ponder Mary's faith and sacrifice and youth and commitment, accept these words as your own for the rest of this Christmas season. Set it as your background on your phone. Memorize it. Make it your answer to God's call for your life.

Because though we can rest easy knowing that God is not going to ask you to be a virgin mother, He may call you to do something you don't understand. You may have a million questions. You may wonder if your family or friends or boyfriend will understand you or even believe you. 

But if it's God, it doesn't matter.

You are highly favored. And when He calls you, He will give you all that you need to walk in faith. You get to use His strength, which is always enough. 

Commit to being His servant. Accept His will this Christmas season.



@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com
SO MANY of you are reading this blog. I would love to hear from you! And if you haven't subscribed, please do! Put your email in the top right corner.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You