The Same Thing Again

Sometimes I come across passages that are so perfect for my life that I feel as though I could have written them myself.

Today that passage was Philippians 3. In my devo this morning, a few verses from that chapter were listed, and I decided on a whim to read the whole thing, so I read it in the NIV. I was completely captivated. So then I read it in the Amplified Bible. Then in Holman. Then in New King James. Every translation was so rich and full and powerful I just couldn't get enough. 

And what first caught my attention was the opening sentence: "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you." (Philippians 3:1, NIV). You can read more translations here, but my favorite was this: "And that's about it, friends. Be glad in God! I don't mind repeating what I have written in earlier letters, and I hope you don't mind hearing it again. Better safe than sorry--so here goes" (the Message).

Oh, that is me in a nutshell. From time to time I get a great idea for a blog post and I spend thirty minutes going back through all that I've written because I am just sure I've already touched on the subject.

And most of the time I have. But when the Spirit brings something to my mind, I'm going to write it, whether you've heard it before or not. Because it's good for you to hear it again. Because maybe you'll remember it the second or fifth or twentieth time.

My mom said that when my sister and I were in our church youth group we complained that "all the youth teachers talk about is how we need to stay away from drugs and alcohol and sex." I'm sure I was very insulted at the time. But now that I am twenty years outside of high school, I realize that teenagers need to hear the truth about drugs and alcohol and sex until they listen and continually remember what God says about them. They do a pretty terrible job of that.

So I'm going to stop feeling guilty about teaching another Sunday School lesson or writing another blog post about the same things. Because there is always something who needs to hear the primary truths of Scripture and not just agree with them but believe them to her core

And it's funny how many times I've gone back to my very first blog post, which I am completely confident came straight from the Holy Spirit through my keyboard. It's still the central truth to all I write and pray for you. So if you haven't read it in a month, please do. 

So I ask you today: what is it that God has impressed upon you over and over and over? Is it a message about love or forgiveness or stress or sin? Is it about an area of your life you stubbornly won't turn over to Him? Is it some sort of obedience issue that you know you should do but you just won't?

Is it your quiet time or Scripture memory or Bible study or prayer? Is it an unhealthy relationship you should have ended a long time ago? Is it someone you don't like and therefore don't love ? (There is no caveat in scripture for not needing to love just because they are unlikable. Sorry.)

Is there something God has called you to do that you haven't done? Maybe it has to do with ministry, missions, serving, changing your major, saying "I'm sorry," or choosing to say, "Me, too." Are you still letting your past or your family or your friends or social media shape your identity? 

It all boils down to this: 

Do you have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ?
Do you know what His Word says?
Do you believe it and, therefore, live it?

That's it. Everything I write and say and teach and pray orbits around those three questions. And maybe you're tired of hearing it. If so, you are more than welcome to tune me out.

But if not, there are over 80 previous posts that point to those three questions. And dozens more swirling in my head that I'll eventually sort out and pray through and write. Some of them I wrote to a specific person. Some I wrote to myself. Some I wrote wondering who in the world would want to listen and wondering if anyone needed to hear it. Again.

So I am grateful to Paul and his attitude in the first verse of Philippians 3. I'm going to be reading it a few dozen times this week and hopefully you'll read what I write about it without getting bored or thinking that I'm just repeating myself. If I repeat myself, that's okay.

Because you know who else repeats Himself? God. I should go back and count how many times He says, in some form, "I am with you," "I am your God and you are my people," "I know best," "I am powerful," and "I have it all under control." Same messages over and over. Spoken differently through the time and situation that necessitated it. God spoke it Himself sometimes, through His messengers, through His Son, and through the Spirit. Over and over.

Because He is the same today and tomorrow and yesterday and forever (Hebrews 13:8). 

And I challenge you--I dare you--to ask God to remind you one more time what it is that you really need to hear. Tell Him you'll do it and mean it. 



@leslienotebook
myleslienotebook@gmail.com








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You