God's Taste

"Oh, that looks just like ____________! I'm getting it for her!"

"You look like ________ in that dress."

"As soon as I saw this, I knew you would love it."

There are few things more fun than knowing a person's taste. I am NOT a good shopper; however, every now and then, I see a gift that I know will be absolutely perfect for someone I love. It's like the heavens open and sunlight beams onto the gift. It's worth any amount of money.

(Okay, so not really. Sometimes I see a perfect gift that is way too expensive. That's when I take a picture of it and send it to the person who would have loved it. It's the thought that counts, right?)

Whose taste do you know?

Do you know God's taste?

That may seem like an odd question. The last I checked, He really wasn't that into fashion. Or gifts. Or patterns.

But don't think He doesn't have taste. 

You just watched spring bust out everywhere, with bright colors and rain and warm days and everything becoming new again. God's taste involves creation.

You've experienced Him in a variety of places outside: on the beach, on a trail, at the top of a mountain. God's taste includes nature.

You've felt His taste when your heart is ripped out looking at pictures of orphans or homeless or abused. God's taste is all about loving the oppressed.

And oh, how I pray you've heard Him speak to you in the stillness. It's hard to get to the silent moments, isn't it? But when His Spirit breathes into your soul, it's worth all you've sacrificed to get there. God's taste is full of His Spirit.

So check out this verse:

"Teach me your knowledge and good judgment, for I trust your commands," (Psalm 119:66, NIV).

I got into this verse when I was researching for Smart Love, because it's a prayer where the psalmist asks God to reveal HIS KNOWLEDGE. God's Smart Love. [When was the last time you just asked for it?]

But now I'm even more excited about the next phrase: the original Hebrew word for "good judgment" is also translated TASTE. "To taste, to see, to discover by experience." It's the same word used in Psalm 34:8, "Taste and see that the Lord is good." 

And though I looked at every single English translation, I couldn't find one that used the word taste in the verse. So here's my very un-scholarly translation of Psalm 119:66:

"Teach me your knowledge and let me know your taste, Lord, because I believe your commandments."

We can know God's taste just like we know our best friend's. 

But it requires believing Him.

There's a Beth Moore Bible Study called Believing God that will literally change your life. And one of the truths from that study is this: there is a difference in believing in God and believing God. Believing in God is nothing that great; even the demons believe and shudder (James 2:19). 

But believing God means you KNOW what His Word says, you CHOOSE to make it part of your belief system, you ACCEPT His promises even when you can't see them, you ACT in accordance with the Scriptures, and you live confidently, knowing your belief in God is your identity.

And when you believe God, you'll know His taste.

You've caught glimpses of it in nature and love and other stuff I listed above. But He'll TEACH YOU HIS TASTE when you believe Him.

I know this is truth because I've experienced it.

A few years ago, I was in a Chick-fil-A, getting ready to leave. I passed a table with a young woman eating, her tiny infant sleeping in a car seat next to her. GOD WAS ALL OVER ME when I saw that woman. I instantly felt love and compassion and tenderness for her. I whispered to my husband, "I'm going to go talk to her," knowing he would try in vain to talk me out of it. (I tend to embarrass him in situations like this.) ;) 

I walked over to her and asked her how old the baby was. Two weeks. I told her the child was beautiful and asked her if she was getting any sleep. "Not much," she told me. Tears came to my eyes. I started to gush with empathy. Through sobs, I told her that she would make it. That having kids was hard. That no one had warned me how exhausting and weary I would become when I had kids. That it was worth it. That the days were slow but the years were fast. That she was going to be a good mom. That her child would be okay. That God would give her strength. 

Wordlessly she started to cry and nod. We were such a mess, two strangers bawling and hugging each other over some chicken fingers. (This is why my husband told me not to talk to her. I'm sure at this point he was already in the car.)

I didn't care. This was God's taste. It's messy and beautiful and full of tears. It involves two strangers loving and encouraging and hugging each other. It's the 45-second conversation that gets you through that rough spot. 

When you believe God, you see a situation and know God's taste.

It looks just like Him.
He loves it.
And when you put yourself in the middle of that situation, your taste becomes a little more like God's taste. And you want more of His taste and less of yours. 

There is no fashion like God's. He clothes the lilies of the field; what is more gorgeous? He instructs the bees how to make honey; what's more delicious? 

GOD HAS GOOD TASTE. 

THE BEST TASTE.

And you can know it.

Believe Him. Trust His commands. Accept His sovereignty.

And He'll give you a taste for the heavenly. Awesome.



I can help you get started! 
Bible Study for high school and college girls
May 26-29, Tuesday through Friday, 9:00-10:00 am.
Place: probably First Baptist Church in Dickson. I'll know for sure tomorrow.
We'll meet and talk and study for an hour, and I'll give you stuff to take home and work on. 
Please let me know if you're coming!
myleslienotebook@gmail.com
@leslienotebook







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You