3 Tips for Avoiding Snake Houses

(Odd title. But not too odd if you read my last post. This is an unofficial "Part 2." You probably need to scroll down and read it if you haven't already.)

{Also, please excuse me for writing another blog about a snake. Not everyone likes snake blogs :) But as long as the Holy Spirit is using that stupid snake as a parable in my own life, I will pass on the lesson!}

Same trail. Still running. Still can't take a step without thinking about the snake.

So yesterday I was running again--watching my step, pondering the snake--when I saw a knee-high pile of trail debris including dead leaves, twigs, and all kinds of loose branches. It was directly in my path and I thought, "That looks like a perfect snake house," and I stepped to the far side of the trail. I want nothing to do with a snake house these days.

Satan first appeared as a snake in Genesis 3, and snakes have been scaring the devil out of people ever since. (My attempt at humor. Not good.) Satan's not very good at hiding. But he knows we're curious. So he sets up a snake house in the midst of our everyday life, just waiting for us to get too close.

The obvious parable is this: We rarely fall into temptation unaware. We see the temptation, we know it's a snake house, but we also think we have the ability to tiptoe closely to the temptation--just to take a look--and avoid the strike of that ancient serpent.

Alcoholics should stay away from bars. Angry people should stay away from rush hour traffic. Girls who want to stay pure should stay away from situations where they are alone in dark rooms with attractive boys.

But it goes even deeper than that. We must guard our relationships, as well. Whose presence makes you bitter? dishonest? grumpy? Because sometimes we need to intentionally step away from relationships that lead us too close to temptation.

Which books/magazines/websites cause your mind to wander? Whose tweets make you jealous/lustful/hateful?

What conversations take your mind and your speech far from God-glorifying?

Now, not everything that looks like a snake house is dangerous. Sometimes it's just a pile of dead leaves and twigs. But sometimes we need guidance to know the difference between the two.

So here are just a few guidelines for staying on your guard against places where snakes live:

1. Ask God to make you more aware of what a snake house looks like. I honestly don't know if a snake would live in a pile of dead leaves or not. And there's no telling how many times I've passed something like that and not given it a second thought. But because I was on the lookout for snakes, it was like a giant "warning" sign to me. When you ask God to make you aware of temptation's snares, He will.

2. Don't get close to snake houses. When God, through His Spirit, makes you aware of such places, don't think you need to get a good look or check it out to see if it's really what you think it is. Just STAY AWAY.

3. Stay close to where you know God IS. Just as you can know what a snake house looks like, you can also know where to find God: in the holy. He IS holy, and He created us to dwell in holiness, just as He is holy (Leviticus 11:44-45). So cling to holy things: scripture, praise, prayer, love, forgiveness, edifying speech, and serving others, keeping your mind on Christ. 

I'd love to know where you see some snake houses this week. And I'd love to know how you stepped out of the way. Please feel free to comment or email me at myleslienotebook@gmail.com

Also, if you haven't subscribed, PLEASE DO! Top right corner. Thanks!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Mr. Ken

In Your Mouth

Eleven Truths Nobody Else will Tell You